Are you as excited about the Librem 5 phone as we are?! So excited you NEED to volunteer? Well we are excited to welcome you to a community of like minded people!
The Common Goal¶
Together, we want to improve PureOS for the Librem 5 and there are several ways in which you can help.
- Maybe you have a free software app that you use on your GNOME or KDE desktop that you would really like to have available on the Librem 5. If that’s the case, then you can work to port that app and make it mobile-friendly.
- Or perhaps you really just want to write an app for the Librem 5 for the fun of it! We will be providing tutorials to assist you in your app creation.
- If you worked on something that would be useful to others, share it by contributing to the developer documentation.
- As the OS and applications are used, they’re being tested and any defects found during testing are appreciated so that they can quickly be resolved.
- If you want to help but need help choosing a project, check out our list of apps issues and sign yourself up for something with the “help_wanted” label.
Whether it be porting/writing apps, finding defects, writing tutorials, or anything else you can think of.. you are helping the community produce a completely open source phone. We look forward to your help making technical piece of art that respects your freedom.
Note: To include your app in PureOS, please see Publishing Apps
Getting in touch¶
There are a couple of ways to contact us and join the fun. We have email lists that are quiet now but will be lively once the dev kits have been sent out. We also have Matrix chat rooms where other volunteers hang out as well as many people from the Purism team. Both places are great locations to introduce yourself and ask questions.
Watch technical email regarding ongoing software development within the team and feel free to chime in with good suggestions. Depending on the level of involvement that you’re seeking, you can sign up for any/all of these email lists where you can follow development and ask questions:
- email@example.com : General Librem 5 announcements (low volume, read only)
- firstname.lastname@example.org : For all sorts of development conversations. This list will be very technical in nature so join the fun!
- email@example.com : For general users of the Librem 5 that are not so interested in the nitty gritty technical details. This list will contain light traffic until the Librem 5 ships in January 2019.
- firstname.lastname@example.org : All announcements to all community members
For the mailing lists, there is no account setup required. Just subscribe, see a full list here.
Matrix Chat Rooms¶
Join our Matrix chat rooms using your matrix login:
- community/librem-5 : For Librem 5 development chatter
- community/pureos : For discussions around PureOS in general
- community/purist : For Purist Services
If you do not already have a Matrix account, please visit Matrix’s website to choose a Matrix client where you can register. Once you have a registered Matrix account, you should log into the default matrix.org server where you can search for our community matrix rooms on our talk.puri.sm matrix server.
Example: To find the community/librem-5 room, you should search for #community-librem-5:talk.puri.sm
If you have any issues finding our matrix rooms, please email email@example.com with your matrix id and they will make sure you get invited to the rooms (although invitations are not necessary for access).
Once you have access to the matrix channels, please say “Hi” and introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what areas of development interest you the most so that we can guide you to the right resources for your development.
Step 2. Getting your own puri.sm email account¶
If you do not trust the common email providers such as Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. and would like your own email address hosted by us, you can request an @community.puri.sm email account. Just send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you all setup with your @community.puri.sm email account. Be sure to include the following in your email:
- Full name
- Personal email
Then the admins will create an account for you in the form of email@example.com and contact you when it is ready to use.